Creating an effective landscape design involves the seamless integration of softscapes, such as plants, and hardscapes, like paths and walls. Lighting contractors are able to provide clients with a way to enjoy a well designed landscape even after the sun goes down.
A previous blog post detailed what hardscapes and hardscape lights are. This blog post will provide further and more detailed information about where to place hardscape lights and specifically how to install hardscape lights onto retaining walls.
What is a Retaining Wall?
Generally, retaining walls are designed to hold back soil and create usable land on sloped areas. These walls are a valuable asset to any garden or backyard. Please note that a professional may be needed for installation of retaining walls.
Retaining walls serve many functional and aesthetic purposes such as assisting in preventing soil erosion, managing water runoff, providing outside seating, and creating raised garden beds. These walls can be made from decorative stones, wood, or concrete which allows for flexibility in their design.
Create a captivating, warm, and inviting outdoor space for guests by using hardscape lights to illuminate these walls and the surrounding area.
Benefits of Hardscape Lights
When hardscape lights are added to an outdoor space, they provide many benefits such as:
- Safety: Hardscape lights provide enough illumination to navigate through the space at night and avoid trips or falls on these hard surfaces.
- Security: They can be used to light pathways, entrances, or other darkened areas. This will help deter unwanted visitors.
- Curb Appeal: A well lit house and landscape will increase not only the property’s curb appeal,but also its market value.
- Numerous Design Options: Hardscape lights come in many different designs, styles, colors, and finishesthat finding one to suit any aesthetic is a breeze.
- Highlight Architectural and Unique Features: Showcasing unique features such as a wall, statue, or tree adds depth and visual interest to an outdoor space.
Tools and Supplies for Installation
The tools and supplies needed to install hardscape lights onto retaining walls are:
- 4 or 4.5 inch angle grinder
- Caulking gun
- Stone adhesive
- Pencil or Marker
- Power drill and a quarter inch masonry drill bit
- Tape measure
- Masonry chisel
- Masonry or Heavy-duty hammer
Tips for Installing Hardscape Lights onto Retaining Walls
Installing outdoor landscape hardscape lights can be trickier and requires more planning than other outdoor landscape light fixtures. Here are some tips before installing hardscape lights:
- Plan wiring of the hardscape lights with the source of electricity in mind.
- Double check for proper spacing and alignment of the hardscape lights.
- Install hardscape lights whileconstructing the wall as retrofitting hardscape lights onto an existing wall can be more challenging.
- Installation may vary according to the material used to build retaining walls. Seek guidance if uncertain about the appropriate stepsto take.
- Safety first: Be sure to wear eye and ear protection while using masonry power tools.
Steps for Installation of Hardscape Lights onto Retaining Walls
- Place hardscape lights 6-8 feet apart along the wall.
- Note the location of the hardscape light on the stone with a pencil or marker. Be sure to also mark the spot for wire entry.
- Use the angle grinder to cut a channel along the lines for the wiring. Ensure it is deep enough to place the wire and casing inside.
- Apply adhesive along the lines using a caulking gun.
- Place the wiring in the channel. Put the hardscape light into position.
- Optional: For added stability, secure the hardscape light fixture with masonry anchors, screws, or more adhesive.
- Apply more adhesive on top of the lower block. Set the upper block into place.
- Strip wire ends to create a waterproof connection.
- Bury wiring at the end of the wall to conceal installation.
- If there was a capstone, replace it at the top of the wall. Secure it into place by tapping the top with a mallet or hammer.
Shop Hardscape Lights at LightCh8in
Installing hardscape lights into an outdoor space will take some planning and elbow grease. Strategically placed hardscape lights could increase a property’s safety, security, aesthetic value, and more. But once the hard work is done, the benefits are ready to be reaped and the outdoor space is ready to be lived in.
Find the perfect hardscape lights at LightCh8in. Our hardscape lights are constructed from aluminum or brass and are available in a variety of different sizes, wattage, and lumens. Log in or create a LightCh8in account now to shop our wide inventory of hardscape lights.